Usually I babble on about makeup and skincare. Now I’m told I’ve been remiss in my hair care suggestions and discussion – or lack thereof. I don’t really have any excuse, save to say color products are more fun.
In any case, I am not without my opinions on the subject.
So here are my Top 7 lesser-known services and products in Los Angeles…
1. Not only does Oscar Blandi’s Cleo de Jasmine oil serum help get rid of frizz, add life to dull hair and minimize fly-aways, but the scent is kinda intoxicating. You’ll only need one or two drops. Find it at Sephora.
Just as we learned in kindergarten not to judge a book by its cover—don’t judge this salon by a certain receptionist. Once you get past the robe room, it’s smooth sailing. I saw Michael Petrelli for color, an absolute doll who truly wanted to make sure I left with my exact desired hue. For cut and style, it’s hard not to fall in love with the artistry of young Michele Finessi. He will tell it like it is, even if it means holding off a few weeks for a specific cut.
Rossano Ferretti Hair Spa | 345 N. Canon Dr. | Beverly Hills, CA 90210 | 310.598.6780
3. Say goodbye to dry and cranky weather-hair with Yoshi’s Magic Water. I don’t know what’s in this stuff, but it works! Just follow the directions or stop by Yoshi’s Beverly Hills studio and have him break it down for you. And hey, while you’re there, indulge in a cut or blowout.
Yoshi Hair Studio | 450 N. Canon Dr. | Beverly Hills, CA 90210 | 310.285.9910
4. Rita Hazan Root Concealer New York-based master hair colorist Rita Hazan has spent more than three years developing a root cover up spray that would stand up to her high 5th Avenue expectations. The Root Concealer is water-and sweat-resistant, plus won’t stain the face or bed linens. Available in a four different shades, we suggest going with the Blonde/Golden Blonde to mask those pesky grays. Exclusively at Sephora.
5. Justin Surh | Michael John Salon Go Beverly Hills old school-style with Justin Surh at the Michael John salon. Just don’t be swayed by the unimpressive salon itself – Justin in on his game. He’s known for his customized color, hair extensions and having an exceptional eye for serving up flattering cuts. Plus, in a city known for straightening and smoothing every tress, Justin is a total curly hair expert.
6. Shu Uemura Fiber Lift, Essence Absolue, Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil Shampoo…well, why don’t we just chalk #6 up to any of Mr. Uemura’s hair products… they’re all pretty addictive.
7. L’Oreal Paris Professionel Absolut Repair Expert—these are only sold in salons, so just ask for ‘em at your next appointment. There’s an Absolut treatment and cleanser for every type of mane. These are really great—and we’d have never known about the line if L’Oreal Paris hadn’t sent some over. So big thanks to the brand’s PR peeps. Good job!